[SI-LIST] Re: BGA routing

  • From: "William Kitchen" <William.Kitchen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: < <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:47:52 -0600

One advantage to the traditional dog bone fanout is that it produces two =
channels through the middle of the BGA, one vertical and one horizontal. =
These can make it easier to route to pads near the middle of the array, =
and also provide a little space on the opposite side of the board for a =
few bypass caps near the middle of the part.

Microvias can also provide those advantages. Just watch out for Nortel's =
patent on the totally freakin' obvious technique of putting blind vias in =
rows to give you routing channels on lower layers.

William Kitchen
Senior PCB Designer, AMX Corporation
469-624-6574
http://www.amx.com

>>> Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx> 11/11/04 05:41AM >>>
Hi All,

=20

I have one general question regarding BGA routing. I have seen many BGA =
boards and nobody puts via exactly below the BGA pad. Most of the times, =
we generate Fanout outside the BGA pad. Is there is a specific reason for =
that? I think we can save lot of space if we put via exactly below BGA =
pad. Is there will be any problem if we put via exactly below the pad of =
BGA? Thanks.

=20

Best Regards,

Darshan Mehta