[SI-LIST] Re: Are flex pcbs now competing with ribbon cables in terms of signal integrity?

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:33:38 -0800

Hi Jim,
One of the biggest challenges I've found in modeling flex is to figure
out what material it really is.  You'll have to get your complete
stackup (unique to each particular design) from the vendor before
building a t-line model, if loss is a concern.

2-layer (1 GND, 1 signal) polyimide has a low loss tangent (Df ~0.01)
compared to FR4 (0.02).  But, if you add coverlay (flex equivalent of
soldermask), with its Df of 0.02, what's the new equivalent loss?  The
problem gets even stickier (pardon the pun) when you go to more layers,
where you'll have adhesive between your core dielectrics.  Those
adhesives may not have much information on them, making it especially
tough to figure out what the final net loss tangent is like.

A related topic under investigation is how much moisture will be
absorbed by the polyimide - it's more hygroscopic than FR4.  That will
increase its loss tangent.

I would plan on building a simple test board (or adding coupons to the
existing design) with your actual construction to derive t-line models
from (or, at least verify your existing ones).

Figuring out the impedance (Er) hasn't been nearly as challenging -
vendors seem to be able to give good numbers to get this correct; they
haven't as much experience with Df.

Other factors that have come in to play:

* Flex lets me use fine trace widths (thinner dielectrics, finer etching
ability).  High density is nice, but these fine traces are also more
lossy.

* If I'm using a multi-layer design, I may want to perforate my ground
planes to make the flex more flexible.  Building a true model of this
which comprehends the correct impedance and crosstalk can be very
challenging - plan on a test board to verify your model.

* When designing with flex, you should become intimately familiar with
the mechanical aspects, since they'll play such a large role in your
design.  Some have already been mentioned, but one other that I'd
mention is the fact that, given a choice, you won't want to "stretch"
(apply tension to) your traces - better to have them under compression
(inside of a curve) or on the neutral axis of your flex "beam" (in the
center of a 3-layer symmetric stripline).  For thin designs, this isn't
such a problem.

Disclaimer:

The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
Intel on this matter.=20

Jeff Loyer