[SI-LIST] Re: About Self coupling

  • From: Bill Wurst <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:39:08 -0400

Naren,

I would like to clarify a few things for you, as the two responses you
have received so far are not grounded in theory.  Your question about
serpentine traces (your term was banding) used for length matching
really comes down to coupling (crosstalk), whether the aggressor in
another signal, or, in your situation, the same signal (you obviously
realized this as the subject line indicates).  A cross-section of your
serpentine traces would look something like this:

        |<--- w --->|<---- s ---->|<--- w --->|
     ____XXXXXXXXXXXXX            XXXXXXXXXXXXX
     ^
     v____________________________________________ nearest ref. plane

When you draw the electric and magnetic fields surrounding each
conductor, you quickly come to the conclusion that reducing crosstalk is
highly dependent upon increasing two ratios:  s/w and s/h, but primarily
s/h (unless h is very large with respect to s and w).  This is
especially the case with balanced stripline, as the presence of the
second reference plane reduces coupling from trace to trace.  So the
rule of thumb that has developed over the years is that s should be
greater than 3h.

The ratio w/h is determined by the impedance of the trace.  Now it just
so happens that in a 50 Ohm system using FR4 for a dielectric, the w/h
ratio is approximately equal to 1.  This has led a number of people to
substitute w for h in the rule, which may work fine in many cases but
could lead you astray in general.

Having an inadequate spacing can, in the worst-case, lead to severe
signal distortion.  Keep in mind that even with s equal to 3h, while the
coupling may be small, it is not zero and will result in slightly less
delay than is predicted by the actual length of copper.  For high
accuracy, you will need to use a field solver.  I would also recommend
that you pick up a copy of Dr. Howard Johnson's latest book "High-Speed
Signal Propagation" and take a look at pp. 610-616.  This section
discusses serpentine delays and also outlines many other factors that
can influence delay matching.

I hope this has helped.

Best regards,

     -Bill

       /************************************
      /                billw@xxxxxxxxxxx         /
     /                                  /
    / Advanced Electronic Concepts, LLC /
   /           www.aec-lab.com        /
Qazi Arif Iqbal wrote:
> Naren,
> Clearances are usually measured from track width basis.
> Also try to avoid sharp edges.
>
> Qazi

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: