[SI-LIST] AW: Re: bnc connector

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "deibele@xxxxxxxx" <deibele@xxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:51:11 +0000

Do you mean the phase performance of the single bnc connector, or the
performance of cable assemblies using bnc or the performance of bnc PCB Launch?
And do you refere to phase differences between different bnc connectors or
repeatability when mating and unmating exactly the same cable?

These are all ultimately different things.
The bare bnc connector has a good repeatability, especially when it is
carefully bottomed in the mating partner (as you know BNC has a small spring
that presses the mating parners together. This allows different mating
positions along the contact. for best repeatability you have to check if they
are fully mated). The mating length differences shouldn't matter much at 50MHz.

When you compare different types of BNC connectors, you will see different
performance, and depending on the contact length you will also see phase
difference (also not much). Real crappy BNC connectors sometimes have a bad GND
connection that can mess up the performance quite a bit (this can then be seen
in phase as well).

If you are talking cable assemblies, then the cable differences should have the
biggest impact on phase variation. By cable differences I mean mechanical and
electrical differences and the quality of the assembly.

Please provide more information about what exactly you did, and what exactly
you are after.

BR
Gert

Please visit us at the HANNOVER MESSE. From 8th to 12th of April 2013 you can
find us in hall 11, stand C13.

German:       http://www.harting.de/hannovermesse
English:      http://www.harting.com/en/hannovermesse

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH, Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339 Espelkamp;
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB 8808;
Vertretungsberechtige Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Edgar-Peter Düning,
Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Ratzmann