[SI-LIST] AW: Re: Testing chips with system level specs

  • From: "Pommerenke, David" <davidjp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:59:50 -0500

Doug,

The standard has many shortcomings, e.g., testing of PINs is only =
partially regulated, the selection of test points etc. You are right and =
the new version will only improve this a little.

On the 8kV air discharge:

We have measued a lot of air discharge and had many discharges as low as =
200 ps at 10 kV and up to 25 kV only a few hundred ps. The data is =
published in the Journal of Electrostatics. The correct question, as you =
mentioned, is knowing the propability distribution. There is no doubt =
that 8kV discharges are not that uncommon, and if the humidity is very =
low, 10% then one will certainly see discharges of extremly short arc =
length.=20

If anyone has problems obtaining a copy of the data, please let me know.

Now, if the consequence is just an upset, why worry for a consumer =
product? But for consumer products only 4kV contact mode testing is =
required. If a company goes beyond it is in most cases not a question =
regulations, but of some quality expectations.

David Pommerenke

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----