[SI-LIST] Re: AC cap placement on Clocks

  • From: Augusto Einsfeldt <aee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:02:44 +0000

Hello all,
I am having some difficulties to send messages to the list. So, I appologize in
advance in case this one goes multiple times.

This capacitor thread made me think about actual impedance calculation.
Since the capacitor is in fact an isolation component the current actually
flows in the return path.
In differential line system it can also flow from the plate of the other
capacitor (where the voltage would be opposit and then causing charges  to move
according to the differential voltage - but still trough the whole circuit
toward the first capacitor).

Therefore, should the real impedance calculation consider the return path
impedance and the behavior of the rest of the circuit as well?
I believe this would be true already just above few MHz when driver and
receiver are assembled in different PCBs.

Maybe I am asking very dumb question. As you can easily notice I am trying to
understand the behavior of a capacitor in a system from the physics stand point
and I may have forgoten something.

Thanks for your replies.

-Augusto

List technical documents are available at: