[SI-LIST] Re: A question in 2D Extractor & HFSS

  • From: "giancarlo guida" <gguida@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yf_xie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:19:49 +0200

Hi Samuel,
the way to define excitation in 2D extractor and in HFSS is quite different
because the first use a quasi-static approach while the second use a
full-wave method.

In HFSS the user need to assign a port
on which the propagating mode is calculated.
(TEM in case of the microstrip)
HFSS will also calculate port impedance, guided wavelenght and effective
permittivity
and will take automatically in account all the losses if present.

As you know there are several way to calculate the impedance associated to
a propagating mode: Zpi,Zpv,Zvi
HFSS uses Zpi by default but for aTEM mode
Zvi could be more natural choise.

The user can ask HFSS to use any of the 3 impedance definition to calculate
characteristic impedance; in any case for a 50 ohm line , just to make an
example)
all the 3 impedance will be really close to 50 ohm.

I hope this help,
in any case you may want contact an Ansoft AE of  your area
 to get more detailed answer on your question

Regards
Giancarlo