[SI-LIST] Re: 6 Layer Stack-up

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:25:48 -0700

In reality people stitch ground vias along the edge of the PCB to form a
faraday cage to confine the stripline radiation within the PCB.
        From:        si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject:        [SI-LIST] Re: 6 Layer Stack-up

Not necessary true.
The key is what signals do you put on the microstrip layer that is reference
to P-plane. If you are stupid enough to put highspeed signals that has
nothing to do with P-power on it, they will need a return path and will most
likely exhibit itself as ground/power bounce on signals and high EMI
radiation. In that case S-S-P-G-S-S provides the lower impedance return path
through the plane capacitance. But that's not as good as if you bury the
highspeed signals as striplines inside the S-P-S-S-G-S stackup. I can easily
show you example of bad EMI when I force highspeed signals on the
outer-layer referencing a power plane that has nothing to do with I/O power
and how it can be "improved" with a thin core P-G added. But I can also
shows you if I bury them as stripline, the EMI will be even better than with
thin core.