[SI-LIST] 2.24 Gb/s over standard 2mm HM connectors?

  • From: "Mikhail Matusov" <matusov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:44:35 -0500

Dear experts,
I am designing a system where two Xilinx  FPGAs on 2 separate PCBs will be
connected with a differential serial 2.24 Gb/s RocketIO link. The cards are so
called front and rear Compact PCI cards and are expected to go into a standard
PICMG 2.16 chassis. Thus, they will be connected with a 2mm Hard Metric
"pass-through" connector. In other words there will be a backplane or rather a
midplane between the cards, but no tracks on this midplane, the signals will
pass directly through the vertical male connector pins sticking out on both
sides of the plane, while each of the cards will have a right angle female
connector.

My questions are as follows:
1. Has anyone done this successfully?
2. Which connector pins should I use for signaling and which for GND?
3. Can I get away without simulating this? If not, could someone please point
me to where I can get appropriate SPICE(?) models for the connectors?

Thanks,
=======================
Mikhail Matusov
Hardware Design Engineer