[SI-LIST] Re: 22.1 Ohm vs 50 Ohm Termination

  • From: Hora Abu <arageeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinlfitzgerald@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:29:45 -0700 (PDT)

In order to match a 50 Ohms transmission line,  the series termination resistor
+ the output buffer impedance must add up to 50 Ohms.    So the total resistor
seem looking back into the driver which include the series termination resistor
+ the output resistor of the drive need to match the transmission line
impedance.  In your case it must be assumed that your output driver has a
resistor of 27.8 Ohms. ( I can never understand the business of 22.1 Ohms since
I have not seen a CMOS driver that can gurantee its output impedance with
accuracies that suggest 0.2 Ohms.  Also typical PCB supplier can not guarantee
a board impedance better than 10%)
Hora
 kevinlfitzgerald wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering what the reason for the use of 22.1 Ohm series
termination on a 50 Ohm line, as opposed to matching it with 50 Ohm.

I have simulated signals with both, and both look reasonable. Is
there an electrical reason for using 22.2 Ohm or is it just lab
experience.

Thanks,
kevin

List archives are viewable at: