[SI-LIST] Re: 2 questions about TRL cal

  • From: "Luciano Boglione" <l.boglione@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Mick zhou'" <mick.zhou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:23:18 -0400

Mick,

Overlapping lines are handled by the instrument and the way it is handled,
may depend on the instrument. In theory, one should get equivalent
calibrations when repeating the cal in the overlapping frequency range with
2 delay lines. However, what the instrument actually does, may depend on how
the instrument is set up. Unfortunately, this makes the answer
instrument-dependent. I used an Agilent PNA model E8364B with a Cascade ISS
101-190 calkit; I tried to avoid overlapping ranges/lines whenever possible
so that I would have a better sense of what the instrument was doing. Manual
and technical papers can help. I found that asking the instrument rep can
also be useful once you can help them towards the answers you are looking
for. A person with experience (rep, colleague, ???) is often the best
starting point to dig deeper.

Take care,
Luciano