[SI-LIST] Re: 2 questions about TRL cal

  • From: Jim Nadolny <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mick zhou <mick.zhou@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 14:45:09 +0000

Hey Mick -

My 2 cents...

On the delays - I always measure the delay differences in the line standards
first, then specify the delays in the cal kit definition.  The result has been
pretty good success with the behavior of the extracted models.  4 or 5 years
ago I was starting to dig into all this and was told (by an industry colleague)
that the Agilent code does not use the delay numbers...so just use 0 ps.  When
I asked Agilent about that practice they sort of looked at me like I had 3
heads - yes you need to specify the delay so that is what I do.  To be honest -
I can't really answer your question though, just my experience.

On the overlap - I use the overlap as a safety measure to cover variations in
substrate performance.  Gives me margin when dealing with batch to batch
variations in FR-406.  Having the overlap also allows you a range of
frequencies that you can use to intelligently select as a transition frequency.
 The selection of the transition frequency can impact the "steps" in the
measured RL that is characteristic of TRL/M calibration.

jn