[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: whelping first litter questions

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wilkersonem@xxxxxxxxxxx" <wilkersonem@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gsdhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gsdhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:41:55 -0800 (PST)

When I bred my bitch for the first time, Darlene Cliff suggested that I get the
book The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies:  A Complete and Practical Guide by
Muriel Lee.  It is available at Amazon.  There is a lot to know, and it is
easier to have it all in one place, with pictures!  I read it over and over
before the whelping and had it open at my side when the puppies came and I was
alone with my bitch.  It was worth its weight in gold!  Of course, no book will
cover everything that could happen, and there is no substitute for experience.
List advice was helpful as well, but people do things lots of different ways
based on their own biases and experience.  It was sometimes hard to know which
advice to take.  I just kind of went with what appealed to me the most.

Here are a couple of things that I learned just from experience:
1.  While you are reading and listening to other people, don't forget to listen
to your bitch!  She often knows what she needs better than anyone else!  When
Callie was pregnant with her first litter (my third litter by this time), she
quit eating her kibble and would only eat 80% lean raw hamburger.  This just
freaked me out!  I was so worried that she wasn't getting a balanced diet for
herself and the puppies.  She would accept K9 Puppy Gold mixed in as a
supplement, but that was it!  I did it her way because she didn't give me a
choice!  How did I know she had 14 puppies in there?  They did not all show up
with xray and ultrasound.  All were beautiful, and I finished 3 champions from
that litter.  When she had her second and third litters, of 12 and 13
respectively, I let her have her hamburger and didn't worry about what anyone
else had to say about it!  She knew what she needed.

2.  I wouldn't worry about the afterbirth.  Sometimes they gobble it down so
fast that you have no time to make a decision!  I dispose of it most of the
time.  The most important thing at that time is to get the puppy warm and
breathing.  You can help by tearing the sack open right away.  My bitches
always wanted to cut the cords themselves.  I have never cut or tied a cord,
but I keep the supplies handy in case there is cord bleeding to deal with.
Once she cuts the cord, I start drying the puppy.  I gently squeeze mucous from
its nose until I get a squeal.  Then I know the puppy is breathing.  A big
stack of small towels is the most important of my whelping supplies.  Kitchen
towels are just the right size, so I get bundles of them on sale at Walmart.
As I discard old bath towels, I cut them to the proper size for whelping.

I bought the light and the warming pan for my first litter, but they just got
in the way.  It worked better for me to make sure the room was at about 78
degrees for the first few days.  I got my puppies dry right away and put them
close together in a separate box with a blanket over and under them until the
whelping was complete.  Then I put them all with the dam.  I watched them
pretty constantly to make sure they were warm, but not too warm.  It they were
lying in the box separate and panting, they were too warm.  If they were
sleeping in a pile and not shivering, things were about right.  Keep drafts out!

3.  Here is a tip that Kent taught me.  If 30 minutes goes by without a puppy
being born, give the bitch a mixture of calcium, honey, and peanut butter.
Prepare this in advance so that you have a lot of little piles of it on a plate
ready to go.  Here's how you do it:  For each dose, crush a calcium supplement
tablet.  Add just enough honey and peanut butter to help it stick together.
You will have about a teaspoon size dose.  Scoop it up with your finger and
smear it in her mouth.  Don't forget to offer fresh water to help her wash it
down.  It really helped her keep the puppies coming with those big litters.

How exciting for you!  I know you will get lots of good advice!  I wish you and
your bitch the best in your new adventure!  Of all the things I have done with
gsds in my life, I love breeding the best!

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
Home of Multiple Group Winner  GCH RiverRock's Hotel California (Callie) HSAs
RN BN
Group Winner Ch. RiverRock's Straight From The Heart HSAsd
and the new kid RiverRock's One Fine Day