[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Article on dogs - NO solution ,except education

  • From: "billie" <arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:08:20 -0800

One of the biggest problems with the general public is education. Our own
breed is often the subject of unfavorable publicity because of a incident
that shouldn't have happened.
I have always felt the majority of the time when we read of dog attack
incidents, that it is not necessarily or always the dog or a specific breed
at fault. It can be the owners, and or the environment the dog was raised
in.
There are owners who don't know or understand their own dog well enough to
see potential problems. Some will see it, but make excuses or ignore it.
They have "blinders" on!
The blame goes to the breeders as well, and I don't use the term breeders
meaning breeders who are true students of the breed, who know and will do
things correctly. It is the breeders who have little if any knowledge of
their chosen breed, or they breed to fill a need for themselves, tough guy,
tough dog etc. There are those who step up to buy these animals. We actually
had a potential buyer call us one time they wanted to know if the meanest
dog was available!
There are many cases of accidents just waiting to happen and the average
person, or the person with the "mean dog" mentality isn't able to assess the
possible danger.
Bottom line is still, EDUCATION, EDUCATION,EDUCATION.
It just saddens me to think of the heartache,pain and danger that people are
put through because of someone owning a vicious dog!
Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, Ca.