[ SHOWGSD-L ] the illustrated standard, etc.

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:31:19 -0400

Hmmm.  OK, I'll try.
Many breed clubs these days have an Illustrated Standard.  These are
distributed to students of the breed, or to persons who wish to learn
more about the breed prior to judging it.  Most DO contain
"amplifications" of the written Standard--they are clearly marked as
such and often appear in different typeface, such as italics, or in
regular print while the actual Standard appears in boldface.    As I
said, this is not unusual.
    I was on the committee for the first IS of the Pembroke Welsh
Corgi...and when that came out, it was hailed by many other breeds as
the one to emulate.  Within the breed, of course, there were many
discussions, some heated, about the drawings used... but over time,
people who wanted to learn about Pems managed to figure it out without
getting all wonky...........
    I have not seen anything on the IS since the discussion some time
ago, and I agree, the drawings submitted by the committee were really
awful.  However, I disagree that any one dog should be used as the
example...if people can't agree on a drawing, how do you expect them to
agree on a living dog?
      I happen to believe that a lot of years spent watching specialties
with someone who truly understands how the  GSD should move is more
important than fulfilling the AKC's requirements...someone can come to
the National and take the seminar and walk out still clueless, and be
approved.   I wish it were possible to get AKC  to agree not to approve
someone to judge a breed until the Parent Club approved that person, but
that ain't gonna happen.  That's pretty much the way it's done in the UK
(not exactly, but pretty close), and I don't know why it can't be done
here.  AKC says no.  Well, OK...but back to the point..
most ISs have the Standard, and an amplification of the Standard,
paragraph by paragraph.  And drawings...some are better than others.
    I remember a few years ago when the Saint Bernard club put out an IS
and the club nearly fell apart because the illustrations were so
bad...the committee used one member's dogs as the model for the
drawings.  We can't let that happen with the GSD...
and somewhere in that IS we really MUST say that the style of preferred
dog is such that newcomers to the breed should spend several months
attending specialties and spend time with several knowledgeable people
AT these specialties.  Then maybe the allbreed judges would be more
pleasing to the specialty folks.
    If you ask how they'd know who the knowledgeable people are, the PC
should have a list of available mentors all over the country...AKC has
asked all the parent clubs for that  information, too...............
Peggy