[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest ........? for Candidates

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EllenH33@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:08:04 -0400

Well, I disagree with these comments.
    Many of the ISs I've seen do, it's true, show faults.  However, I
cannot repeat enough that this does two things, and neither is the
desired result.  One is to confuse people...no kidding, people get mixed
up between what is right and what is incorrect.
Two, it leads to fault judging.
    My idea of what should be in an Illustrated Standard is only what is
correct.  The point should be to train the eye of the reader, be that
reader a judge or a breeder, new or old.  These people will discover
soon enough what all the faults are...if they are breeders, everyone
they know will be very quick to point out the faults of any dogs around
(except their own, of course), and if they are judges, they should be
referred to the other sources of information on the breed where there
are plenty of illustrations of what is NOT wanted.
    The IS should be a reference point for what is RIGHT.  Train the eye
first...the rest will come later, and if it doesn't, well, there are
many people around who could do a great job judging once they know what
to look for...telling them what NOT to look for is sort of self-defeating.
    You don't teach someone how to bake a cake by telling them not to
turn on the oven, for example.  The first time they forget to do that
they learn not to ever forget it again.    TEACH WHAT IS RIGHT, ALWAYS.
The wrong stuff is easy enough to find.
    I congratulate the Committee on "pulling" the NIS.  It did represent
lots and lots of work and thought, which I'm sure everyone appreciates,
particularly those of us who've done it ourselves, and it speaks well
for the Committee Members that they realized that if this many people on
the list were unhappy with it, it probably was not going to be well
received by the intended audience, either.
Peggy