[ SHOWGSD-L ] realistic look at loose lead

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:58:08 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/2005 4:38:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx writes:
> And my other pet peeve....  the judge says "Loose lead" and the  handler
> goes
> fifty miles an hour so the leash is not really tight but the speed  is such
> that it is not what you'd consider the German Shepherd  Dog's gait - it is
> more
> like a race as to who goes the fastest.  I  cannot imagine that a judge can
> evaluate structure under those conditions.   And.... thinking about working
> dogs -if our dogs were to herd sheep at that  speed, the flock would be dead
> in
> no time.
>
> Dania

    In the year 2006 I will celebrate the 40th anniversary of my license to
judge GSDs. Because of my mentors training I have always asked for no demanded
a loose lead in my ring but through the years I have had to take a hard look
at my demand. The ideal situation is to see the dog shown at an easy collected
gait on an obvious loose lead. At this you can easily see if the middle piece
is being held together by a taunt lead you can see if the dogs front end is
being held off the ground while the rear completes its job. But realistically
this is not what for many reasons you get. One reason is that there are so few
judges that insist [there are more and more that are] that the dogs are
conditioned and trained to go hell bent all the time. You can either spend way
too
much time trying to slow them down or you can penalize every dog with energy or
you can learn to see them loose but fast. How you do this is learn to look
when they are just starting or when they are stopping.you can also chew a few
doublehandlers out at ringside yell and threaten handlers a little bit of all
the
above. At any rate you can see enough at a fast but loose pass to get the
information you need to make your decision. The one thing you MUST insist on is
that the handlers and the owners are trying to give you what you want if you
suspect they are not dump them.              Fred Migliore