[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: how to defeat PAWS

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:48:12 EDT

If people are as determined not to allow this bill to come to pass as they
indicate, they really should buckle down and do something about it.   And I
guess it's time to go back to your clubs and gather signatures, too.   We can
get
signatures at shows for officer's and board members elections, why can't we
gather signatures for this?   Can you imagine the enormous amount gathered, if
we should try, at all breed shows?   I wonder if AKC would shut us down if we
tried.   I haven't gone to their table for a couple of weeks, I'll check to see
if they have information supporting PAWS at their table.

And, while this may be a futile wringing of hands , this HAS to be better
than saying....well, it's not me it's going to affect.   I will probably never
whelp another litter and have whelped very few, and sold not that many
dogs/pups.   I have read enough posts from well meaning people who have no idea
what
this poorly written, vague and open to misinterpretation, ( and further
tweaking
by the AR groups) bill will do, not only to animal/bird
breeders/owners/rescuers, but to the USDA, overwhelmed with their duties and
financial resources
for   the country's animal husbandry industries as it is.
Stormy

In a message dated 8/22/05 3:35:01 PM, pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> I just received this from a Collie person who works on the Hill in
> Washington, DC.  It might pay us all if we did what she suggests...
> Peggy
> (and feel free to crosspost this)
> In a message dated 8/21/05 9:06:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> ------@xxxxxxx writes:
>
>     I have been listening and reading about the PAWS debate since the
>     bill was
>     reintroduced in this Congress.  I agree with most of the advice
>     floating
>     around on the Internet but I can tell you that the level of opposition
>     communicated to Senators on the Agriculture Committee is paltry at best.
>
>     I work for a Senator serving on the Agriculture Committee and we
>     have  had
>     very people contact our offices in opposition to the bill.  We have
>     had
>     hundreds of contacts from supporters. (Mostly from people who don't
>     understand the
>     PETA agenda but care deeply about animal welfare.) If it  were just
>     a numbers
>     game--we would be losing.  Thankfully, that is not the  primary way
>     most
>     legislators determine their position but it is a factor.
>
>     I would like to make a couple of suggestions:
>
>     1.  Don't get too hung up on national organizations supporting or
>     opposing
>     the bill--they don't vote.
>     2.  Don't think you have to write a long treatise on why the bill
>     is a bad
>     idea--all you need to say is "I'm your constituent and I oppose
>     this  bill."
>     3.  Most legislators have numerous offices within a state or
>     congressional
>     district--call them all.  If you're shy, call after business  hours
>     and leave a
>     message on voice mail.
>     4.  The easiest way to contact your Senator is to go to
>     _www.senate.gov_
>     (http://www.senate.gov)  and look for your Senator's  website.
>     Visit it and leave
>     an electronic message.  Be  specific--refer to the bill by name and
>     number
>     and register your  opposition.  (S. 1139; Pet Animal Welfare Act)
>     5.  Pass around a letter at your local kennel club meeting or at a
>     dog  show
>     and get folks to sign it with their addresses and mail it to the
>     Washington
>     office.  Thirty original signatures on a letter means a lot more
>     than a  letter
>     from the club saying they have a hundred members.
>     6.  Be mindful of the timing.  This month things are pretty slow
>     because the
>     Senate is in recess.  Twenty contacts this week would be  noticed.
>     Once the
>     Senate takes up the Supreme Court nomination in  September, a thousand
>     messages will be overshadowed by the tens of thousands of  contacts
> [...]

www.FairhopeGSD.com