[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: greenies

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: holly@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:01:19 -0500

Well, you might feel strange about feeding them, but raw chickens, bones
and all, will clean teeth.  You can give each dog half a carcass and
once they realize what they've got in their greedy little paws, they
will chomp away.
The bones don't hurt them, either.  Again, tho, too many and you will
get a blockage...only difference is that the bones will eventually
dissolve, unlike the greenies.
    If you're brave enough and can afford it, raw chicken carcasses will
keep the teeth clean.  A friend with Belgians gives her entire kennel a
whole chicken each at least once a week...those dogs have the cleanest
teeth I've ever seen.  I used to give my Cavaliers a wing or two once a
week, or a neck.  Don't know why I stopped... they had clean teeth in
those days!  (the whole breed has awful teeth)