[ SHOWGSD-L ] for those who put on the GSD Olympics

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:55:18 -0400

In New England area? I'm not sure of the event's actual name, but apparently
ANY use of the word
olympics is frowned upon by 'the' olympic committee (the ones in charge of the
every 4 year human event).

Here's a news story that I read online at MSNBC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8942404/

Ferret Olympics forced to change name
Organizers of pet games nipped by USOC over trademark infringement

EUGENE, Ore. - After nine years of slippery, slinky competition, the Ferret
Olympics is being forced
to change its name — the U.S. Olympic Committee has threatened to sue.

An estimated 75 ferrets will vie for medals at the Ferret Agility Trials on
Sunday in events
including the tube run and the paper bag escape. Only “they are not Olympians
anymore,” organizer
Melanee Ellis said with a laugh.

Ellis started the Ferret Olympics in 1996, the year of the Atlanta games, as a
fundraiser for a local
ferret shelter.

The Ferret Olympics didn’t attract much attention until the local newspaper
reported on it in 2004,
Ellis said.

Within two weeks of the story, she received phone calls from the BBC in London,
“Late Show with David
Letterman,” “The Ellen Degeneres Show” and, eventually, the U.S. Olympic
Committee.

Ellis, 44, said she could hardly believe the woman on the phone was serious
about the threat of a
lawsuit for unauthorized use of a trademark.

“I was very, very disappointed and upset about the whole thing,” she said.

U.S. Olympic Committee spokesman Darryl Seibel said the committee’s legal
department on average asks
about 50 groups per year to stop using the name Olympics.

“No one is being singled out,” Seibel said. “But the accumulated effect of
letting that go unchecked
would hinder the ability we have to do what we do.”

In July, a Minnesota rock band changed its name from the Olympic Hopefuls to
the Hopefuls but was
allowed to keep its signature track suits. The ImprovOlympic, a comedy club in
Chicago, also opted to
change its name, to I.O., rather than fight a threatened trademark infringement
lawsuit.

As for Ellis and her ferrets, she wishes they had another chance at Olympic
gold.

“I’m sure Spaz is the most upset,” Ellis said about the top athlete in her
ferret lineup. “He never
did win a medal at the Olympics. He thought this would be his year.”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.