[ SHOWGSD-L ] for those who feed Diamond..some is being recalled..........

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:11:45 -0500

, cannot attest for the truth in this warning but worth at least looking
into if you feed Diamond Foods or any of the foods listed below...
Important Customer Alert

Diamond Pet Food has discovered aflatoxin in a product manufactured
at the company's Gaston, S.C. facility. Out of an abundance of
caution, we have notified our distributors in the areas affected and
recommended they hold the sale of all products potentially affected
by this situation.

Product quality and customer satisfaction are important to us, and we
pledge to keep you updated as new developments occur.

What is Aflatoxin?

Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical by-product from the
growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, on corn and other crops. The
fungus develops on crops during years with severe high temperature
stress and drought.

What products are affected?

Products formulated with corn at our facility in Gaston, S.C. may be
affected by this situation (see complete list below).

The Gaston facility date codes are unique from other Diamond facility
codes in that either the eleventh or twelfth character in the date
code will be a capital "G" (in reference to Gaston). The range of
date codes being reviewed are "Best By 01-March-07" through Best
By "11-June-07." Diamond's quantitative analysis records substantiate
that Diamond's corn shipments were definitively clear of aflatoxin
after December 10. As such, "Best By 11-June-07" date codes or later
are not affected.

Gaston facility products recommended for temporary removal from sale
include:

Diamond Puppy Food

Diamond Original Dog Food

Diamond Low Fat Dog Food

Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food

Diamond Maintenance Dog Food

Diamond Premium Adult Dog Food

Diamond Performance Dog Food

Diamond Maintenance Cat Food

Diamond Professional Cat Food

Professional Reduced Fat Chicken & Rice Dog Food

Professional Adult Dog Food

Professional Puppy Food

Professional Large-Breed Puppy Food

Professional Reduced Fat Cat Food

Professional Adult Cat Food

Country Value Puppy

Country Value Adult Dog

Country Value High Energy Dog

Country Value Adult Cat Food

Are products manufactured at other Diamond facilities affected by
this situation?

No. Products manufactured at our Gaston facility are the only ones
affected.

What states receive products from the Gaston facility?

The Gaston facility provides products to our customers in Alabama,
Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (eastern), Maine,
Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New
York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South
Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia.

What symptoms should I look for from my pet?

Symptoms of illness will include sluggishness or lethargy combined
with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes and/or gums, and
severe or bloody diarrhea.

What should I do if I suspect my pet is ill?

If you suspect your pet is ill, please consult your veterinarian
immediately.
This is a warning that was e-mailed to me. I am simply sharing it with
you as a courtesy and a "fyi" in the event you feed any of these dog
foods. An ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure.  Please feel
welcome to share it as you deem appropriate.
Peggy