[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Your Lyin' eyes.... breed type vs style

  • From: "EDEN HALL" <GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <GSD0110@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:36:06 -0800

This is part of the problem today, just in my opinion.  Movement comes before
'everything' in this situation including temperament, clean coming and going,
secondary sex characteristics, etc. etc.  Pounding is a serious fault, but many
people often mistake it because the dog may not be over-extending in front
which is also not correct.
Males should not move like bitches.  Some males have no masculinity but they
can fly-but they don't look like males.  I am sooooo sick of not seeing males
that look like males.  Some dogs can fly but are so dirty going away they could
in no way work sheep as they couldn't stop on a dime, roll back on their
haunches and take off in another direction without getting their legs tangled
up plus the muscle development has been given up for 'movement'.  We do take
our dogs herding and we have seen it in others and it is embarrassing to the
breed.  You can see it in the breed ring as well on the coming and going.
Sometimes when they change directions the 'dirty dogs' cross over in the back
and somewhat get tangled up as they change direction and come back.

We think a German Shepherd should have it all.  They should be able to move
'correctly'.  A good moving dog is a sound, balanced dog, driving off the rear,
reaching with the front, transmitted through a strong middle piece. How could
an ugly dog be a good mover since what makes up the appearance of the dog is
structure.  How could a correctly structured dog be ugly?

To say that you'd pick an ugly dog that moves is also throwing out the entire
'dog'.  I have to say that I'm sure your dog didn't go select just because he
was 'pretty'.  There are not too many judges at that level that would
jeopardize their career just picking a 'pretty dog'.  I'm sure that dog was
selected because he was a 'total package', he had breed type, secondary sex
characteristics, was clean on both ends, had an adequate shoulder with which to
work, had bone, had pigment, had good feet, had a good ear set - was the sum of
the total, not just a piece.

Breeding for strictly movement, or what specialty people often mistake for
movement, is why John Q. Public come to specialty shows and ask 'why is that
dog dragging its ass'.  They don't ask that at AB shows.  Why, because those
dogs look like GSDs.  They may not be perfect, but they can work sheep, they
can jump in a truck and by gosh, they look like a GSD.

We aren't slamming specialty dogs because we show in both rings with the same
dogs!  That should be the goal for everyone I would think, in our opinion.  If
you can't take your dog and go into an AB show, then you have a problem with
your dog.  It's a wake-up call  - if you are embarrassed to take your dog to an
AB show because the general public will think your dog is crippled, then you
have a problem.

Anyway, didn't mean to go this long but we miss seeing males that look like
males.  We would much rather take home a dog with a little less shoulder but
was the 'total package'.  If we were forced to take home a specialty dog that
flew around the ring (with no head, no width between his legs in front, dirty
going away) or a speciality dog that you could tell was a male from across the
ring and gaited cleanly, efficiently and productively (not extremely angulated
on either end), we'd take that male home.

Edie
Hallmark German Shepherds
Top American And German Lines
http:/www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html