[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why I joined the GSDCA/Long

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:20:40 EDT

When I joined the GSDCA, it was before the list and before the official PC
website existed.  I just figured you didn't show GSD's and NOT join.  I
probably
wouldn't be too far off the mark if I said that over the ten years I've been
a member, there have been some elections with more passionate issues than
others, and ideas being debated more strongly than others.  This year seems
particularly tough.

For me, the best reason to remain a member of the PC is that I can vote.
Whether my vote is in the majority or not isn't known until after ballots are
counted, but as a member, that is the most basic fundamental reason I still
choose to be part of this club.  I can speak, THROUGH MY VOTE, and select board
members, nationals judges, and vote on amendments to the bylaws.  I can
volunteer
for committees where I can best be of service to the breed based on my
experience and interest. And because I can VOTE, I can help change direct and
influence the future of the breed.

Don't know the candidates?  Call 'em, e-mail them, talk to them.  I've said
this before and I will say it again -- whenever I have contacted a board member
I have ALWAYS received the courtesy of a reply.

Ten years ago I really didn't know any of the candidates in my first
election.  Now I have better knowledge and much of it is because of this list.

Additionally, I abstain from voting for Obedience & Agility judges at the
National because I am not currently active in those venues and I don't care to
skew votes for another activity just because I CAN.

When issues have become intolerable to the general membership, we speak LOUD
and LONG.  But it is only those of us who have the right to VOTE that truly
have any say in the breed. By being part of the GSDCA, I have the chance to
influence the breed for as many years as I stay an active member.

I am part of a group that IS a family to me, people that started as
acquaintances became dear friends.  I've gotten to do some pretty neat things
because I
am a member.  I've worked at the Nationals, worked for local clubs and pretty
much stick my nose in to help out the BREED.  Nothing makes me happier than
to assess a young GSD for an owner (who is ignorant of the way the breed
matures and behaves) and tell them their dog is perfectly NORMAL.

No, things are NOT the way they were ten years ago.  Or twenty, or thirty.
Sometimes I open my mouth too fast, and get myself in over my head.  It's
because I love this breed and want to be part of ALL of it.

If someone does NOT want to be a member, with the right to vote, that is
their decision.  But this breed means FAR too much to me to leave it in the
hands
of people who don't want to be part of an overall group who want the best for
the breed.  People over the years have given selflessly to me and the growth
I've had, and I'd like to return it to others who just MAY find I might have
something valuable to say.  Being a PC member brings a perceived credibility to
many discussions with the pet owners who don't know which website to believe.

For me, I choose to be a member to that I can VOTE.  It didn't start that
way, but it's where I am, NOW.  I can't imagine my life NOT being part of the
GSD
community.

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds