[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why Dogs Don't Live as Long as People

  • From: MissJrHandlerGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:58:34 EST

A friend sent this to me and I knew I had to send this to the list  enjoy!!!
Melissa

WHY DOGS DON'T LIVE  AS LONG AS PEOPLE

         Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a  10-year-old
Irish Wolfhound named Belker.  The dog's owner, his wife, and
their  little boy were all very attached to Belker and they  were
hoping for a miracle. I examined  Belker and found he was dying
of  cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left  for
Belker and offered to perform the  euthanasia procedure for the
old dog in  their home.
As we made  arrangements, the owners told me they thought  it
would be good for the four-year-old  boy to observe the
procedure. They felt he could  learn something from  the
experience.
The next day,  I felt the familiar catch in my throat as  Belker's
family surrounded him.  The little boy seemed so calm, petting
the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he  understood
what was going on.  Within a few minutes, Belker slipped
peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept  Belker's
transition without any  difficulty or confusion. We sat  together
for a while after Belker's  death wondering aloud about the  sad
fact that animal lives are  shorter than human lives. The  little
boy, who had been  listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."
             Startled, we all turned to him.  What came out of his  mouth
next stunned me. I'd never  heard a more comforting
explanation.  The boy said, "Everybody is born so that  they
can learn how to live a  good life, like loving everybody and
being nice, right?" He continued calmly, "Well, see?  Animals
already know how to do that, so they  don't have to stay as long."