[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whelp on command

  • From: SteppingStoneGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:10:24 EDT

Thank you for everyone who responded on recommended reading for my  friend.

Miracle of miracles, I was scheduled to go up either Friday night or
Saturday morning for the weekend.  I didn't think the bitch would whelp  until
Tuesday personally.

Well, my friend called Friday morning and asked if I could come that night
instead of Saturday as she was starting to really panic (my friend not the
bitch!).

The bitch went into stage 1 labor at 2:30 Friday afternoon, I arrived at
12:30am and the first pup was born at 9:10am!

The vet thought she was going to have 5 pups.   To that point we  had two
males and two females.....my friend was hoping for lots of girls with  one boy
for the coowner so she could fulfil her contract and be done with  her (long
story!).

We were telling the bitch we wanted two more girls.  Well,  unfortunately
puppy five was born dead with severely deformed back legs....but  it was a
female!

I made my friend take the bitch to the vet for an xray, sure  enough, one
more pup.....and guess what.....another girl!

So, we not only have a bitch that will whelp on command, but one that will
give us the sexes we ask for!  What a good mom she is!!

Thanks again to everyone!

Marci Smith
Stepping Stone German Shepherd Rescue, Inc.
Paris,  KY
_www.SteppingStoneGermanShepherdRescue.com_
(http://www.steppingstonegermanshepherdrescue.com/)