[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What would you do?

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MissHereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:55:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi Daphne...before I give you my opinion ( only because you asked) let me first
say I hate "limited registration"..I have never checked that box and I never
will, but I won't bore you with my reasons..last year I co-breed a litter with
a friend on the east coast, we split the litter, and she evidently put a
limited registration on one of the puppies that she owned...a few months ago my
friend contacted me to obtain my signature to change to "full
registration"..and of course I signed the AKC paper work to effect the
change....if in your mind you think honesty and integrity ( something that far
too many folks in the dog sport do not possess) are at stake.....yes indeed you
need to pursue the matter.....Ed Hill
Miss Hereford <MissHereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   "Oh what a tangled web we
weave when we practice to decieve," is the quote
that first came to mind as this delimma began to unfold. My question to you
is what would you do in this situation?

Here's the story - a female puppy (the product of a breeding between a Rin
Tin Tin male and Show female I had purchased) was placed on an AKC Limited
Registration on 8-29-99 (I keep good records and have an exact copy of the
individual registration certificate that was given the new owner). The puppy
was given to the friend of a GSD breeder, who, as I recall, at that time was
a member of this list. The pair came to pick up the puppy while I was on
tour with Rin in Tucson.

At the time of placement, I was quite clear verbally, as well as the Limited
Registration designation on the individual registration certificate for the
puppy, that she was Not to be bred. The owner and her breeder friend agreed
to the terms that the female was Not to be bred.

I find out only a short time ago, not only was she bred several times, But,
her progeny was registered. One of the breedings was to a male owned by the
GSD breeder friend. I contacted the GSD breeder friend by email and asked
how this could be since the puppy was on Limited Registration. She replied
that her friend, the owner of the female, was now deceased as was the female
in question. She also said, "Don't know anything about it," which I had a
problem with since she Had to know the female was placed (given - not sold)
on Limited Registration. She suggested I contact AKC - which I did. I filed
a complaint to find out how, and by whom, the Limited Registration had been
changed.

Now I have received emails from owners of second and third generation
puppies who are understandibly concerned after receiving letters from AKC
not to breed, show, transfer, etc. their dogs.

My question to the GSD community is this, "Would you file a complaint on a
Limited Registration that was obviously changed - altered - forged -
incorrectly recorded by someone?"

I realize correcting this wrong will affect several uninvolved individuals
who down the road purchased puppies, but in my mind honesty and integrity
are at the forefront here and a wrong that was perpetrated by either intent
or error, should be corrected.

I look forward to your comments.

Faithfully Yours,
Rin Tin Tin
Miss Daphne Hereford
www.RinTinTin.com

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original