[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What are your comments on this?

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:49:15 -0700

I think ‘newby” dog owners have to go through a learning process. At the time
I took my dogs there, I was a newby GSD owner and had volunteer to evaluate dog
parks for an obedience club. I never went back again after a few weeks. But
the article wasn’t so much talking about dog parks as the natural tendency for
herding breeds to “turn off’ other dogs approaching them. I know our own dogs
play and tussle with each other, but are the accepting of other herding breeds
or is it just to all other breeds that they tell to “move on?”

Storm

On Jul 19, 2015, at 3:37 PM, SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx wrote:

When I was herding a lot, we used to tie several herding breeds out along a
long shady shelter. They could easily get into each others space but they
did not, it was respect. To a dog, when a Bouv or overly friendly breed
approached they universally hated them and gave them strong warning. I
understand this as I like my space as well. I found some breeds or
individuals in that breed does not know how to approach the pack, but I find
the same thing in people. Its an interesting study in people as well as we
are more like the dogs in these rules than we care to admit.
I would never take my dogs to a dog park for several reasons.
Lissa

In a message dated 7/19/2015 2:48:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
stormy435@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Before I decided not to go to dog parks anymore, the two GSDs that I had at
that time simply ignored all other dogs. They just played with each other or
went after the kong or ball. If a dog came close, they just ignored it.
What is your take?

https://sarahwilsondogexpert.com/why-does-my-herding-dog-seem-to-hate-labs/
<https://sarahwilsondogexpert.com/why-does-my-herding-dog-seem-to-hate-labs/>

Storm