[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We need MORE Sarah's

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pam Stoesser <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 15:54:47 -0400

Pam, There is only one Standard for the GSD the last time I checked. The
problem lies in the interpretation of that Standard. Other problems arise when
breeders (all breeders, of any sport preferred) breed for certain aspects
instead of breeding for the Total dog. And then you have genetics. Another
problem is knowing in your heart when to pull a dog from a breeding program and
pulling it. This is not a new topic, this topic has been toss around, chewed on
and moved on for many years. When will it stop??? Maybe when there are only
those of the same thinking or when there is no one left to have healthy
discussions or debates with? A German Shepherd Dog, when bred correctly to the
standard can do it all.

As for learning .... just because someone has years and experience (in what
they do) behind them does not mean that they are continuing to do things
correctly. We should all be continuing our learning of the breed by what we
know, what we experienced and how the newcomer sees it. If newcomers and the
non dog public have to question why this or that on these dogs but not those
dogs .... then there is a problem that needs to be researched. As much as you
want the newcomer and general public to be open minded and accepting of what
things should be like, you too have to be open minded and accepting of the fact
that some things may need to be addressed.

JMO
Lyn Chernak

From: pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxxxx; dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We need MORE Sarah's
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:42:11 -0500

In general, we all have opinions and everyone (new or old) have a right to
theirs, even as we realize that some will be right and some will be wrong.
It’s the discussions that lead us to reach out beyond our experience and learn
from the experiences of others.

However, I do believe that we also have the obligation to post and discuss
with respect for the other person’s experiences and to not phrase our
discussions with accusatory language or words that come across as attacks.
Some of us communicate in full sentences even as our culture is moving toward
communications in short bursts of single words.

Short bursts are suited for factual information like “R U going to
Sue’s?”. This list sometimes uses those. But deeper conversations
like how well our dogs meet the breed standard require more thought and longer,
thoughtful sentences because the answer is now, and has always been after Max,
“some do and some don’t”. Those discussions are necessary between GSD folk
and have been for years because it’s how we learn.

Without the Standard, there is a tendency to breed the dog for only one
purpose, whatever that might be so that a person gets a lighter, smaller dog
for
one purpose or a dog that runs fast but doesn’t gait for another purpose.
Both of those are wrong, just as much as breeding a dog who gaits flat on it’s
hocks or whose back rumbles with every step. The GSD Standard describes an
efficient dog suitable for working long periods of time without tiring,
protective of the sheep and the shepherd and beautiful in motion because of
that
efficiency. There SHOULD NOT BE a different standard for the conformation
dog, the working dog, or the performance dog.

If the people on this List can discuss differences respectfully and with an
intent to come closer to the breed standard, then is has a good purpose.
Otherwise, then each needs to consider whether continued participation is
worthwhile...

Just my opinion... Pam

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:05:08 -0400
From:
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re:
We need MORE Sarah's

I have read the
post of Sarah and she came across saying that "American Lines" had the pastern
problems, she NEVER saw bad pasterns in the German/Working lines. That
kind of attitude is attacking and accusatory. If you really want to learn
then do so. I go to a lot of shows I don't see American Show dogs having
down pasterns. There may be a few that don't have the greatest feet but
there is no perfect dog, German, American or whatever. Down pasterns in
puppies is common and I can't believe german/working lines don't have that in
their puppies sometimes. There were some people who were trying to educate
her but she seemed like she had her mind made up. The people who breed
American Show lines breed the bad pasterns. ummm noooo. Everyone has
their opinion its how you express it that either irritates people or
not.

MYJOY SHEPHERDS
Joyce Willis

-----Original