[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update on Terror strkes at home--Bloat

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:25:38 EDT

Hi all,
RE:  My original post from last Thursday.
First of all I would like to thank all of you who emailed me with prayers and
consolation for my Classyâ??s bloat and torsion. This was and is still a very
traumatic time in my lifeâ??and of course herâ??s also.  I fear for her every
day
cause I have to go to work and no one is here--but I am single and live alone
so I have no choice.
She first bloated on Thursday am and I got her right in and the vet operated
that morningâ??and I brought her home on Fri nite. She has about a 12 inch
long
incision in her little belly and STAPLES !!! I guess that is the best way
according to the vetâ??but they sure are horrible looking thingsâ??not that
stitches
are great but they are easier to look at. Anyway, she seems to be doing ok
(certainly much better than I am). BUT������

Unfortunately, in process of all this, the vet also discovered she has
perianal fistulas. I did not know this. I never saw her paying too much
attention to
her butt and was very shocked to learn they were there. Now I have even more
of a problem.

She wont poop. Not that she cantâ??she WONT. Saturday am she did have 1 small
bowel movement. Since thenâ??nothing. She wont even try. In fact, she only
urinates 1 time per day. She dosent even want to go outside. If I stand there
and
watch her, she will just stand there and watch me. If I go in the house and
watch her out the windowâ??she just watches me. If I go inside and leave
herâ??she
just stands by the gate and waits for me to come get her. I am going crazy with
this. I just cant keep feeding her if she isnt going potty. And she DOES have
an appetiteâ??and is acting normal in the house.  And I certainly can't stop
feeding her.

Well, I just got off the phone with my vet AGAIN and she said at this time
she isnt worried, she is probably using most of what she is eating, she does
NOT
think the fistulas are causing her to not want to pottybecause she has had
them for a while and for me to just keep an eye on her.  I feel so bad that I
didnt notice she has the PF's but she even now still does not pay a lot of
attention to them--and they l;ook HORRIBLE.  I just didnt make a habit of
checking
everyones butt.
I am feeding her some canned pumpkin couple times/day mixed in her food (she
likes it) and I am feeding her small amounts per feeding and I use a good dog
food (Diamond Lamb and Rice) but she is only getting about ½ cup/feeding with
cooked chicken and broth or ground beef and I am feeding her yogurt every
nite. She has her normal appetite. She is acting normal in the house but she
does
not want to go outside evenâ??just wants to stay in the house.

Anyone with any suggestions???

My vet is not  upset about thisâ??I am.

Also, for the perianal fistulasâ??I know about the website and the PF Listâ??I
AM ON IT and I get mail daily--but usually just delete it--- I had one of Classy
â??s ½ sisters with PFâ??s about 4 years agoâ??and I have them cleared upâ??at
least
â??have had no obvious signs of them for about 2 ½ - 3 years but I for the
life
of me cant remember what I used and cant find where I wrote it down. It was
something in a little bottle like an ear medicine plastic bottle with a pointy
end on it that I could stick in the "holes" in her butt and squirt directly
into the holes. It worked. Donâ??t remember what it was.

Any thoughts???

Cheri Hunt
Customer Service Rep
Cooper Crouse-Hinds