[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tracking

  • From: "Linda Booker" <legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:56:02 -0500

Tracking is great fun.  (except when the fire ants are out, down here in
Louisiana)  <g>  We do schutzhund, and tracking is a part of that.  However,
schutzhund tracking is different than AKC tracking.  IMO, AKC tracking is
harder than schutzhund tracking.  AKC tracking is pass/fail and schutzhund
is 100 points, with minimum of 70 to pass.  The schutzhund 1 track is very
simple.  It's generally a basic U shape (with right angle turns),
approximately 300+ paces, laid by the handler, with 2 articles, and run at
about 30 minutes.  The 2 and 3 are progressivly longer, harder, older, have
more turns, and are laid by a tracklayer other than the handler.  Then there
is an advanced tracking degree (FH) which is VERY long, 3+ hours old, must
cross a road and have a terrain change, with lots of articles and turns, one
of which is an acute angle.  It also has cross tracks laid by other people.

FWIW, we start dogs at a scent pad (we spend time on it specifically b/c
there are points at the scent pad).  Put a flag in the ground (or some
marker), stomp around and mash the grass down a little, and drop some food.
Bring the dog on a collar & lead (we don't use harnesses in schutzhund
tracking) and help him to explore the whole area of the pad.

Next, we start straight lines out from the scent pad.  For puppies, we do a
piece of food in every foot step.  The purpose of this is to teach a
thorough, footstep to footstep track.  It is very un-natural and a pain in
the backside (literally) to teach.  ;->  For maximum points in schutzhund
tracking (as IF I had ever seen *maximum* points in tracking!) <g>, the dog
should have a deep nose and go methodically from footstep to footstep.

After we master the initial straight lines (10-15 feet), we extend that out
to loooooooong straight lines, and then move on to serpentines, and
eventually corners and more complex situations.

I hope someone (Lew, are you listening?) will share information about AKC
tracking.  I would like to try it sometime.

Linda
Legato German Shepherds...and...
Stormy Sch3 IPO3 CDX RA
Zena CD Bh AD