[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Toxic Gut-- long

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx, AKeller97@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:51:30 EDT

Have had several people write wondering about dogs recovering from  toxic gut
since last night.
I had never had toxic gut until moving from Canada to Texas 3 years  ago.  I
had had 1 bloat back in 1974 - no surgery, dog lived.
 I lost a 2 year old male to TGS 3 weeks after arriving in  Texas.  I was
determined I would find out everything I could and not  let this occur again if
could help it.  Like Candy, I took my dogs  off food with soya in it back in
the early 80's, and 2 years ago stopped  feeding anything with corn in it... I
do not know if I have avoided some  issues as a result or been lucky.  I feed
a great food now, almost  holistic and still have cropped up with a problem.
Genetic? I  honestly do not think so, I think environment may be a big
player.   Any dog that has bloated or had TGS here has been during very hot
weather,
 dogs not eating quite as well as they could, more intense panting, having
been wormed just recently, some outside factor such as  severe drops in
barometric pressure, dynamiting nearby causing extra  stress.  Every case.   I
cannot
say any of the above a  contributor, but just an observation.

The 2 yr old I lost I had taken to an emergency clinic...was told he  was
poisoned.  I knew it was not possible.  They simply put him  on IV and observed
him...he died 7 hours later, bad death, lot of  pain.  I was furious - I had
begged for them to open him  up.  I took him elsewhere for an autopsy - he had
toxic gut and  had bled in.

Last year, had a 4 yr old male who had acted completely normal just  suddenly
become lethargic, staggered and threw up.  I had had a chat  with Dr. Krueger
- he said get a mega dose of flagyl into him  fast.  I did that and 2 hours
later, started an IV with antibiotics  to flush the dog out and take the toxins
out of the blood.  The dog  lived, still here today and in great shape.  That
dog had been  treated for 1 yr prior for EPI.   He is now on a lower dose of
enzymes and blue green algae.  Very low fat food and is great.

This last male on Monday was fine at 900 AM, normal activity.   Came in the
house and went back out for breakfast at 1100....very high  energy dog.  He was
walking slow....took a temp, normal.   Checked gums -- they were very dry and
he was literally fading before  me.  Got the dose of flagyl into him and gave
subQ fluids while en  route to vet.  Did blood work - only thing out of whack
was ALT  (liver) at 171, slightly elevated.  Possible suggesting some
necropsy. I had to tell the vet to xray - there was a lot of fecal  matter in
the
bowel.  He gave an injection of reglan - I insisted on  an enema to clean it
out
and re xray to be sure there was no  torsion.  I wanted him to start an IV -
he did not think it  was necessary.  He had no idea what he was dealing with.
I  brought the dog home, started the IV, carried on with flagyl and  reglan,
and as stated, he is still alive.    Since last  night he is back to eating
almost normal, good energy level.  Right  now I still have him on reglan and
1000 mgs of Flagyl 2xd.  As I  said, I do not know if I have had the golden
goose
looking out for me  or lots of prayers.

Hope this helps some of the rest of you when faced with  this......quick I.D.
of the situation is paramount.  As Zoe  said, she did not figure any could be
saved once you saw  symptoms.  You have to be able to catch the slightest
change  quickly and act fast.  I do not think most vets in the past have put
enough flagyl into the animal....medical texts call for 1000 mg 2  xd.....not
enough for the first couple of doses.   Feed that  amount in your heads.....250
mgs to 8 lbs - it could save your dog too.  And keep lactated ringers on hand,
even if you can give it subQ, they need  fluids fast.  The IV will bring the
blood pressure up so if you are  able to do a hook up, do it post haste.
Luck to all.....
Molly
Trillia  German  Shepherds