[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tornados

  • From: ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:37:46 EST

A small tornado can do more damage than a small Quake. However any Tornado,
Quake, Flood , Hurricane or Fire can come in totally devastating  proportions.
   I'm lucky , I live on a 100 plus year homestead. I have a hill  on front
and rear of my house. A full basement large enough to put over 100 dogs  in. In
case of Tornado warnings.
   The hills are high enough that we can load up animals and head  for higher
ground, if it floods and since we are in the Black Hills, not much  chance of
a Hurricane or Quake.
   We did have a bad fire last year that burned over 6000 acres.  When we saw
the smoke we checked out which way the wind was blowing and Called  our
emergency person in the Kennel Club. Within minutes we had people with  trucks
and
vans with crates in them. They loaded us up hauled us into town  to the Kennel
Club building where they had crates , dishes buckets x pens and  three kennel
runs set up for us. Also a couple of beds, food, toiletries,  towels. Ice
water. Everything you could think of.
   They even took turns coming into the building to help exercise  dogs. and
give us a break.
    We have the Sturgis Motor Cycle Rally here in Aug.  Brings in about
600,000
bikers.
  That's our Christmas in August. We were lucky that the fire was the  week
before the Rally because we only had 28 dogs and 11 cats. We have about 80  or
more during
the Rally.
  You don't think clearly in times like this. People were taking  pictures
off my walls. I took a jar of change and was going to leave the cash  register.
I put my Great Grandfathers clock in the car.
People were saying what else do you want and I grabbed a box of chocolate
bars, and said I'll bet these will melt. All my Royal Dalton's and Hummels
never
 crossed my mind.
  My husband (being the stubborn old German that he is) Sat in his  chair and
said the fire is not coming this way. I'm watching the news. You are  crazy
for loading all this up. Then the fire Marshall came to the door and said  you
have 5 minutes to get out of here. I told that stubborn old man, if you want
clean underwear you better pack it yourself. Never saw him move so fast.
Needless to say, he was quite embarrassed later.
   The fire came within a half acre of our Back door. Only harm  done,
 was when I was walking a board dog it bolted at the wrong time, I  went
flying into the air and came down on my breast bone and wrist cracking  both.
So I
had to go to the ER and get a cast on my wrist.
  When we were able to go home all the people came back and hauled us  home.
Over 12 homes were lost in that fire. WE were SOOO lucky!
  Two years there were fires elsewhere where another kennel and  members had
to evacuate. and we took them in. That's when the club came up with  the
disaster plan, and boy did it work!        Judi

48)