[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better the Breed ( oops, I pressed send instead of save )

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rikers123@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 07:02:37 -0500 (EST)

"You can't regulate Ethics".....well there is a Ethics comittee...but that's
another agenda

  I disagree that "the best regulations are one can go by are the ones you set
yourself". In very VERY few cases I agree, but for the most part I see people
rushing to get that last squirt out of the last Ch.Or they breed there bad
elbow bitch to a blah blah blah stud to rid it.

  There are soooooo many good dogs and bitches out there that never get a
second look because they do not come from a "name brand kennel". Too bad so
sad. Yet those breeders breed with strict standards ( grandbabies of their dogs
do NOT end up in rescue, unlike the "name brands" ) and have an extremely rare
occurance of health problems.

  Just breed for the betterment of the breed or get the hell out is what I say.

  There are some breeders on this list that have never had a job!!!! How can
you be 50+ 60+ and never worked at a job??? Stick dogs together and you have an
income. Sooner or later you'll have a CH or Sel right?? But how many souls had
to be born until that Ch? How many sick dogs?? How many companion pup owners
had to suck it up or put their pup down??

  No, I think it is better to OFA, it cuts back on the pain. But do the
majority of breeders even think about the pain to an owner of an ill dog?? I
know many do, but it cannot be the majority....if it was the majority they
would do everything in their power ( OFA Penn Hip ) to stop it.

  Not jumping on the bandwagon of "land of the free".  Blech.

  Colleen Donnelly
Rikers123@xxxxxxx wrote:
          In a message dated 12/6/2005 4:37:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx writes:
  Denise, I think Pam is saying that if the dogs that are being shown are to be
looked at as studs and brood bitches they should be OFA'd?

  The world I live in has breeders pronoting dogs as potential studs and brood
bitches....not OFA'd, not prelimbed...just babes of Champions. That's enough to
bring around the no-minds.

  Why not do what you can??

You can't regulate ethics. If showing dogs started at 2 yrs of age , that would
be a thought, but they start at 6 months of age. Showing is not just to judge
the stud dogs and brood bitches . It is for judging what has been produced too,
 which means those not old enough to be OFA'd. Sometimes those younger ones are
better than the older ones that day in the ring. The best regulations one can
go by are the ones you set yourself. Our first instinct when someone tells us
we have to do something is to say jump off a ledge. I'm the first one to do
exactly the thing I am told I cannot do <g> and smile the whole time. But that
doesn't mean I'm not going to do what I feel is right for the dogs. It just
means I don't like being told I have to do something. If your gut says OFA,
then do it. Don't breed to dogs or bitches that aren't OFA'd. It's that simple
in this land of " ya can't make me ".
  JMO

  Denise Groenewald
www.greenwoodshepherds.com

                                                   GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED
BETTERMENT REGISTRY

The only way to understand & estimate the nature of the dog is to study his
whole development. Such a task requires a sympathetic, dog-loving observer, who
tries as far as possible to enter into the innermost mind of the dog, and who
will know how to short-circuit all his purely human points of view. --Max von
Stephanitz