[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: This will get me in trouble...move over Sarah

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:35:19 -0800

I love ruminating... it makes one think a bit deeper.

We probably should remember that the Conformation Dog (those that
breed for that ideal and that ring), provides only a fraction of the
dogs that are used (and bred for) other work.  They (those other
breeders) breed to their ideal, which isn't necessarily towards what
most of the listers on this list breed.  If a breeder wants to breed
for what they believe should be in the homes of those to whom they
sell their dogs, then, of course, that's what they should do.  If that
overlaps into a winning dog, then coming in the back door would be a
wonderful prize.   It's a wonderful U.S. (yet!) where we haven't
succumbed to a breed warden or have our dogs cast out because we
choose to breed our choices.

I don't know why breeders look at who's winning and breed to that
goal.  I know some do, maybe many... I don't know that.   My goal in
the few litters of my burgeoning breeding career (cut off at the
gate), was to breed to that which I found beautiful, healthy and good
temperamented.  (not a word:).  I was more sucessful in my first
breeding than in the next ones.  I tried to get to the finish line too
fast.

Rambling... back to procrastinating about whatever I'm procrastinating
about.

Storm