[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Way We Were

  • From: James Barnhart <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:35:37 -0800

Bill,  I think loose lead evaluation is a better way of finding the
dog that is the best mover relative to the other dogs in the ring.
The point that I'm having a hard time getting across is that  I think
that the power that once thrust some of our great movers of the past
forward is gone.  Lamar also said, "Be careful, the traits that have
made our breed great can be lost in one generation."  No amount of
loose lead evaluation is going to bring it back.  Our best GSDs, IMO,
can be close to the Standard in structure and type and be pretty good
movers and still lack this rare quality.   I could be wrong.  I have
gotten many emails from folks who tell me how great their dogs can move.