[ SHOWGSD-L ] The "Illustrated" Standard

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:50:31 -0700

The illustrated standard should reflect the outline etc. of today's dogs.
Our current dogs are still in the standard buy appear different in "style."
Look at the selects of 1966-1970 and you'll see what I mean.  Breeds do
evolve and change and still remain within their standard.  In my opinion the
new illustration should be reflective of our current selects.
Helen Franklin

After last year's fiasco with this very topic, I was just going to throw my
hands in the air and say "C'est La Vie" --- Because let's be just realistic
if the current "power" folks want it... it's going to happen no matter what
the membership wants or knows is correct.

Then I got to this post and unfortunately, I have to disagree with Helen
Franklin.  In fact, I've got to say this: "are you kidding?"  If the NIS
depicted some of the animals in the ring today, we'd be in bigger trouble
than we already are.  Now... of course this has developed into a novel...
That's what I get for reading the list.... Grrrr:

What has happened to the fully developed forechests that our breed used to
see all the time.  Look in the Review. Look on the internet -- a lot of
animals have their fore assembly placed so far forward that the point
shoulder (where the upperarm meets the shoulderblade) is sitting in direct
alignment with their prosternum.  This is incorrect.

What about shoulders on animals that are so lacking in proper angulation
that combined with 2 inch croups (yes an exaggeration, but not far off), the
reason they "look" decent is artful handling a tight lead and fast speed ---
FORM FOR FUNCTION --- if they herd sheep that way, I just can not see how
they will efficiently be able to do their job --- their structure is not
built for it.  Oh by the way... if the graphic in the NIS remains the same,
where it describes our dogs shoulders as being

What happened to functional rears --- I know... yeah here she goes again,
I've only been griping about this for 10+ years --- it appears to get worse
every time I go to a show.  Go surf peoples websites --- if the pictures
show animals moving -- and the front end is fully extended and the rear end
isn't fully open --- VIOLA!

What happened to the natural athlectism found in our dogs... you know...
actual coordination where all four feet are off the ground at some point in
the gate --- where the front AND rear work together in complete unison... If
you hear that this isn't a flying trot... then you A) have not owned or
seen, or studied correct moving animals or B) you're trying to propagate
what you own is correct instead of what is ACTUALLY correct.  Surf the
sites, look in the review --- If you see pictures where there is definite
weight bearing on one leg while the other 3 are off the ground in various
extensions --- well... it's not correct as a dog who has all four feet off
the ground AND covering a lot of ground doing it.  I'm sorry... folks... I'm
not going to get into semantics --- if you've seen good motion you know what
I'm talking about, if you start showing pictures of atrocious dogs in flying
trot just to point out that they also can do it... then you're just trying
to smokescreen the fact that what our breed used to have with natural
athletes is rare in the ring today... to the point that when judges see it,
they don't know what it is and fault it for animals with no business being
promoted as quality animals... ie animals that people would have foisted off
on pet people 10 years ago.

I still have last year's copy (version 12) of the NIS --- if the drawings
are not DRAMATICALLY different than what was in that version --- then the
GSDCA will be wasting OUR money and doing serious harm to this breed.  Worse
yet, if those interpretations remain in effect --- there's more serious harm
to be done... The standard does not need to be "interpreted" ... it's one of
the more concise standards in effect ... and with those interpretations
combined with those drawings ... our breed will be in a serious world of
hurt.

And I really don't care if the "committee" pulled in all their "experts"
late last year when this conversation was flying.  Because before they were
pulled in, this NIS was in the same predicament it's in right now... ready
for "voting on".

The Parent Club would be wise to make sure that the RIGHT people look this
publication over and verify that it's worthy of being published.  I agree
with Libby Cameron --- I really hope that the Board members think long and
hard before they think they are qualified to pass judgment on this project.

And for Mr. Migliore.  I agree with you slightly in the fact that there
would be a lot of wrangling with 3000 views given by 4000 people ---
however, I'd like to point out, that last year, before we were publically
vilified by the committee head for our PRIVATE conversations; a diverse
group of people made up of breeders of GV's Selects, BIS's, judges - All
Breed and Specialty, board members, were able to come to some consensus on
what was pictorially pleasing and acceptable to the group in less than 2
weeks of email conversations, including taking those atrocious graphics and
tweaking them into acceptable.

But it takes a lot of different qualities to be able to do that --- fore
mostly --- the eye gained by actually bringing the standard to fruition in
the animals bred by an individual.  No judge's license, $$'s, elected
position, graphical expertise, art degree, etc.  Nothing can account for
that kind of experience.

Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:
1995 US GV ROM, AOE-1996 US GVx, Jubilee ROM
http://inflight.cnc.net