[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thank you all for your help.

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:28:02 GMT

Since this is a subject that's very important to all of us, could you please
give us the symptoms of Toxic Gut Syndrome?  What should we tell our vet to
look for.

I almost lost my 15 week old puppy a couple weeks ago to what was eventually
diagnosed as viral enteritis from an unknown virus.  At the time I asked if it
could be TGS but the vet said no.

Bruiser's symptoms started with refusal to eat, lethargy, and he vomited once.
I thought he might have a blockage because his vomit included the ear from his
toy elephant he'd destroyed the evening before (I'd found the battery, plastic
case and important parts of the elephant, didn' realize he had eated some of
the pieces).  X-rays and an ultra-sound showed what appeared to be an
intestinal blockage (his intestines looked fine and all of a sudden at one
point they were blown up and filled with gas).  The vet said toy elephant
stuffing doesn't show up on x-rays.

Bruiser didn't have a fever or diarreah.

The vet did explatory surgery, his intestines looked fine, there was no
blockage, but they found enlarged lymph glands/nodes in his mesentary system.
The vet said his stool was gray, contained some blood from unknown internal
bleeding, and they found a slight build-up of clostridium.  Bruiser peed,
drank, refused to eat, continued to vomit, was extremely lethargic, but did not
poop.

He was on IV's, antibiotics, pain meds and later reglan.  Finally the night of
the fourth day he stopped vomiting.  He was still not eating and continued to
be very lethargic.  I visited him the fifth day, took him for a walk and he
pooped.  I got some Beechnut first stage meats with broth and rubbed some on
his gums.  He licked it off and after a couple times he ate about half a jar.
The next day they found he'd removed his IV catherater during the night, and he
started eating.  I brought him home the evening of the sixth day.

Sorry about all the spelling errors, my SPELL CHECK found the errors but had no
suggestions on the correct spelling.

Gayle
Ringer - Honey - Kelly - Mac - Slider - Bruiser - Bo
Bridge Kids - Andy - Abbey - Tasha - Tex - Echo - Yukon - JR - Too - Niki

-- Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/1/2005 4:59:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
AKeller97@xxxxxxx writes:
passed the phone # on to her. She's down in Texas and her vet  don't know
what to do wtih possible toxic gut.  That's scarey  in itself.  Again thank
you
all for helping. Lets hope  everything goes ok for the gsd.
ARlene  Keller

I want to thank Arlene and everyone that responded to her post, also  to Dr.
Krueger for his good and sound advice.

After some mega doses of flagyl and a good flushing IV, Expresso is  doing
great.  But I must say, it is very scary that so many vets  really do not have
clue.  I had started to build a confidence up  with this particular vet, but
realized after 2 hours in his office, he had  no idea what he was dealing
with.   Gets bad when you have to  tell your vet  what to do - I told him I
needed
flagyl, told him to  do an xray.
For anyone that suspects toxic gut, it is imperative to get a large  dose of
flagyl (250 mg to every 8 lbs) into the dog as quickly as  possible, following
up with fluids, IV.   This particular vet  did not think fluids were
necessary, just diagnosed a stomach  ache!!       I had asked for him to do an
exploratory to determine if I had mesoteric torsion.  He said he was  about to
close
and was too tired at this point to do it, maybe in the  morning!!   I started
an IV at home and continued to treat the  dog with flagyl and reglan.....
Anyway - he is well, eating and almost back to normal.  I am  lucky this
time.....
Molly

Trillia  German  Shepherds