[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thank you all for your help.

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: AKeller97@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 04:52:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/2005 4:59:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
AKeller97@xxxxxxx writes:
passed the phone # on to her. She's down in Texas and her vet  don't know
what to do wtih possible toxic gut.  That's scarey  in itself.  Again thank
you
all for helping. Lets hope  everything goes ok for the gsd.
ARlene  Keller

I want to thank Arlene and everyone that responded to her post, also  to Dr.
Krueger for his good and sound advice.

After some mega doses of flagyl and a good flushing IV, Expresso is  doing
great.  But I must say, it is very scary that so many vets  really do not have
clue.  I had started to build a confidence up  with this particular vet, but
realized after 2 hours in his office, he had  no idea what he was dealing
with.   Gets bad when you have to  tell your vet  what to do - I told him I
needed
flagyl, told him to  do an xray.
For anyone that suspects toxic gut, it is imperative to get a large  dose of
flagyl (250 mg to every 8 lbs) into the dog as quickly as  possible, following
up with fluids, IV.   This particular vet  did not think fluids were
necessary, just diagnosed a stomach  ache!!       I had asked for him to do an
exploratory to determine if I had mesoteric torsion.  He said he was  about to
close
and was too tired at this point to do it, maybe in the  morning!!   I started
an IV at home and continued to treat the  dog with flagyl and reglan.....
Anyway - he is well, eating and almost back to normal.  I am  lucky this
time.....
Molly

Trillia  German  Shepherds