[ SHOWGSD-L ] TERROR STRIKES at home--1st case of Bloat

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:02:47 EDT

Hello List,
I am in tears as I write this--I have had GSD for almost 30 years and have
NEVER had a case of bloat.  Well, I guess my time has come.
My 7 yr old Classy, bloated this morning.  I knew when I first got up and
started letting the dogs out potty that something was wrong--she has had 2
litters and is now spayed--and she has for a long time had a bit of a pot
belly,
even though she is not "fat".  But her belly was bigger than normal and
although
she didnt act distressed, she just wasnt right--and now that I think about it,
she didnt want to lay down but was just standing around.
I couldnt believe she was bloating--I have never been through this but I
have read so much about it here on the list and other places--and I have MANY
friends who have been through this with 1 or more of their dogs.
I took her to my partner/breeder/friends house and she checked her out and
said she did look like she could be bloating--but she sure wasnt acting like
it.
 Although she wasnt quite as active as normal, she didnt act like she was in
pain and she even was wagging her tail when we talked to her.  Well, I did
take her to my vet and she checked her all out and said she didnt think it was
bloat, her temp was normal, color good, attitude good--didnt act like she was
in
pain--but something was wrong so she did an xray.  I waited for a lot longer
time than was necessary just to take an xray  and when she called me back in
the room--and Classy was not in the room with her, I knew--and she showed me
the xray and how the stomach was twisted.......................
My vet did the surgery and tacked her stomach and also removed her spleen.
She said that they dont know if the spleen twists and causes the stomach to
twist--or vice versa.  What is it with the spleen and bloat??
Well, so far everything seems to be ok and they will let me know tomorrow how
she is doing and when she can come home.
I have been a wreck all day--just wanting to crawl into a hole and cry.
Instead I had to go to work  (so I can pay my vet bill) and be nice to
customers.
I dont understand why she bloated.  She was healthy I thought.  I feed raw
and cooked meat 2 X/day and vitamins and good dog food and because I know so
many people who have been through this, I am so CAREFUL with them regarding
exercise and eating habits.
I dont understand.
and I hurt.  Bad.
Cheri