[ SHOWGSD-L ] Specialty vs All Breed Shows

  • From: BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx
  • To: terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:04:43 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/10 7:31:21 AM, terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> And we wonder why the specialty shows are decreasing.  People are
> complaining about judges and their integrity but then hire them again and
> again
> and complain and complain.  We wonder why new people are not flocking to our
> sport or our breed.  The all breed shows have allowed us to show and
> compete in a more fair and equitable
> state.  The all breed clubs are asking us about judges and hiring those we
> recommend.  It is working and we are getting majors and we all have a fair
> chance.
>
> So it is simple for many of us.  We will take our dogs, our money, and
> common sense and go to the venue that allows us to compete fairly,
> economically, and have the most fun with the best reward for doing what we do
> as
> breeders/exhibitors and lovers of the the breed.  This year we are bypassing
> the
> Futurity for an all breed show.
>
> Terra Fairburn & Nanc Kinley

Terra/Nancy, your post sums it up accurately.

Your statement below is the crux of our speciality versus all breed show
problem.

THE ALL BREED SHOWS HAVE ALLOWED US TO SHOW AND COMPETE IN A MORE FAIR AND
EQUITABLE STATE.

This I believe is the MAIN reason why our specialities are shrinking.
Most specialities stretch the AKC rules, especially in the area of being on
time for the closing dates.   There are those who are continually   'allowed'
to break the rules and enter late - I'm talking days late, and then don't pay
for their entries till the last day of the show. On the other side there
are those who abide by the rules to the extent of paying an expensive overnite
service to get their entries in on time along with their payment.   What is
wrong with this picture? Yes there are those that know they have the
specialty clubs between a rock and a hard place because we need the entries.
BUT
they certainly can't get away with it at the all breed shows now, can they?
  Our specialty sport has become so very clique-like, so very unfair.
People see this and get fed up with the inequities, the consequence is
radically reduced entries.
What needs to happen is ALL specialty clubs need to abide by all the rules
and not show any favoritism.   If those who assume they are exempt from AKC
rules are held to them, and suffer the consequences of not being able to
show because they are late with their entries - will change their ways, because
it will cost them where it hurts, financially.   Can you imagine a client
whose big name handler was late with multiple entries and won't be able to
show them?   I'm guessing it wouldn't be too long before they get their act
together.   This of course is just my opinion from past experiences as a show
secretary for many years.   A function, which in good conscience going
forward I can no longer perform.
Regards,
Pat