[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sorta shocking

  • From: John Lacher <john.lacher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vande001@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:40:48 -0700

Cynthia,

I had to get your email address from the member list since you didn't
indicate your email address on your post.

In my years as a member in All Breed and Specialty clubs including
obedience and hunt clubs I too have experienced what you describe when
I served as as an officer and board member. Many members have become
dissatisfied over club operation and leadership and they get out of the
club. GSDCA or the member GSDCA regional clubs are not any different.
Sadly, what you have experienced is very common in the dog club world.
Non-members "catch wind" of the discord in local clubs among their friends
who are members and decide they don't want to get involved. Can you blame
them?
As election time grows near among clubs the greatest thing that current
officers and BOD can do for the club is to move over and let new blood take
over. The new slate will come with new fresh ideas of club member growth
financial stability, and transparency. The most disheartening is talking to
people who feel it just isn't FUN anymore! The other factor is that
membership among clubs are aging. Younger members see no interest in
becoming members.

John Lacher
Oroville, CA
john.lacher@xxxxxxxxx

On Monday, September 7, 2015, Cynthia Van Den Berge <
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I belong to a local IPO club. It a mix of breeds but most are GSDs.
Occasionally I mention something related to conformation, specialty shows
or the parent Club. It shocks me that these folks know nothing about the
above and couldn't care less it seems. Just yesterday a guy who has two
shepherds and puts a lot of time into working them mentioned that he was
headed to Purina in late October for some trial. I asked why he didn't go
to the National ( he is retired and has plenty of $$). His dog is a good
worker and he could potentially do pretty well. He didn't know what I was
even talking about. Had no clue what a National was or anything about the
parent club. He is not alone....that seems to be the attitude of every GSD
owner in the club. Why is that? When I got my first shepherd in the early
70s, even though he was a pet, I wanted, was hungry, to learn everything
about the breed. Like many, I started him in obedience, joined a local
club (GSDC of Atlanta) learned a lot and the story goes on. Why am I not
seeing this with my friends? We have a local club (GSDC of Memphis) who
would love to have them and would work to include them in activities and
provide things that would interest them.
One thing, our IPO club training director is a working line breeder and
hates all things American...so, I am sure her attitude rubs off. Many of
the club members have bought dogs from her (including me). It just
frustrates me that here are at least 6 people who are deeply involved with
their dogs, but have no desire to learn more about the breed. What to do?
Cynthia

Sent from my iPadPOST is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the
property of the original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO
REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are permitted without prior
permission of both the original author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL
RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group
and its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

<javascript:;>

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

John Lacher