[ SHOWGSD-L ] SHADOWS AND ECHOES

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:31:53 -0400

SHADOWS AND ECHOES

    (a tribute to John DeHope)

by

Barbara J. Galasso

To have lived one's life with dignity and integrity and the respect of
one's fellow man is to know that you did not merely live in the SHADOWS
AND ECHOES of anyone else's greatness.  Such was the life of John DeHope.

On a cloudy New England day, the sun shone long enough to light a path
to eternity where all pain and sorrow no longer exist.  It beckoned John
to come and join the light and leave the darkness behind.

"But I'm not ready my Lord", John called out.  I've got a National to go
to in North Carolina in a couple of months, and friends to see who all
wished me well and looked forward to seeing me again."  "I was getting
better I told them."  "How disappointed they will be", he cried.  "I've
got view points, and opinions and information to pass along", he
challenged.  I'm respected, and looked up to you know; a pillar of the
breed", he said.  "There's still more to be done dear Lord", you'll see,
you'll see, you'll see", he excitingly exclaimed.  God said, "no John,
those are just the SHADOWS AND ECHOES of your life that once was yours
to share on earth".  "You are now needed here", he gently whispered.

John was determined.  He just had to let God know there was so much more
for him to do on earth yet.  True to character he persisted.  "If I may,
sir," he continued.  "There's a new board and officers to pick, a new
slate of judges to choose from".  "Surely you can see how important my
input will be", he loudly proclaimed.  God raised a slightly arched
eyebrow and looked at him as he pleaded his case.  He shook his head and
with a gentle tap on John's shoulder, he said, "come my son away from
the SHADOWS AND ECHOES of earth so the sunshine and rainbows that is
heaven can shine through.  At first John was reluctant, but then
realized he was out of his domain here and decided following God was a
wiser thing to do.

"There will be no more champions, no more ROM's, no more litters, no
more breeders, and no more shows, he told him.  John seemed unhappy to
hear this news, for these were the things he enjoyed and loved.  His
sadness did not go unnoticed.  He was told that he would have mountains
that were easy to climb, lazy, rolling meadows to walk, paths that led
to streams and babbling brooks, and soft gentle breezes that would
caress his cheek and rustle his furrowed brow.

John didn't want to seem unappreciative at the many gifts that was to be
bestowed upon him, so he mustered up a polite little smile, that didn't
quite convince the Lord that he was overwhelmed with joy.  God chuckled
to himself and turned to look at his newly crowned resident.  He said,
"oh by the way John, did I tell you that some of your earthly friends
would be with you to roam these mountains, meadows and brooks?"  A lone
tear escaped down John's cheek and his eyes opened in wonderment as his
beloved "Reno" and "Troll" came trotting across dew moistened green
fields.  John's heart jumped with joy and  he turned to thank the Lord,
but he was not there.  John was disappointed because he wanted to thank
him.  Just then he felt soft feminine fingers enfold his hands with
hers.  The heavenly spirits swear they heard her say, "come dear John
and walk with me".  "I have so much to share with you".  "Come Reno,
come Troll..........John's home again", she whispered.  John took
Connies hand as they walked and talked and left what many thought were
footprints of SHADOWS AND ECHOES on the pathway to heavens door..........