[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Recruiting new fanciers

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 13:10:33 EST

AKC shows often aren't perceived as friendly because, well, handlers get put
up instead of dogs, people say nasty comments to others faces about what crap
the dog they have is, etc.
I go to All Breed shows, and I ALWAYS Dress nicely, should anybody in ANY
BREED need help in the ring.  All they need do is ask.  I have held dogs of
several different breeds for people that had another animal in the ring
(Shepherds
included), and afterwards, I never even got so much as a thank you.  Even
AFTER I'd helped take back 2 of their 7 dogs, put them in their crates, and
helped
to water and cool them down.

I keep returning, but nobody really takes notice.  I keep going because I
love the show atmosphere.  Many of the people leave something to be desired,
but
I keep going back, because I love the dogs.  I love to be with and around the
dogs.

I've helped people win classes, but never have pictures, because nobody wants
a picture of their "class dog".  I've taken Best of Breed with Beagles and
Dachshunds, but people don't want a picture of somebody else with their dog for
that...especially if I was given the "loser dog" that was supposed to be
dumped.

Now, if I was given the dog that, by their definition was the lesser quality
animal, but I still went over their "Good" animal, I must have done SOMETHING
right.  Some of it is the judge, and some of it is the dog, but SOME of it IS
the handler.  I had to do something to get that dog noticed, or I wouldn't
have gone breed over the "better" dog.

I've been treated like dirt, I have gotten less than kind or helpful
phrase my questions as whining, others look at it as genuine interest.  It all
depends on how the person takes it.

My dream dog died just over a month ago.  I was heartbroken, and a wreck, and
on December 4th, I cried for him....just like I know I will for him the 4th
of every month, for a long, long time, because I lost a dear friend, a young
friend, and my dreams for that friend and I.

But here I am, still waiting, still ready, still trying.  I'm not going
anywhere, so good luck shaking me off.

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash