[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question on Hospitality for judges

  • From: Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:31:02 EST

Tom & I are active members of the Orange Coast German Shepherd  Dog Club and
the Santa Ana Valley Kennel Club.

Do you   always pick judges up at the airport; do you arrange for a shuttle
for them; or tell them to make their own arrangement and they will be
reimbursed?
Specialty We always pick  the judge up at the airport and return them there.
AB we ask them to use a  Shuttle.  Getting 10-20 judges to  the Host Hotel
makes it impossible to meet them and transport them. We ask them  to take the
shuttle after the show, also.
And the same  for judges returning to the  airport Do you take them to dinner
the day  before the show;  to breakfast the morning of the show; to dinner
after the  show.
Specialty:  We take them back to the airport.  We take them to dinner the
night before  the show, to breakfast and there is usually a post show dinner we
take them  to
AB We do not entertain  them the night before the Saturday show.  The Host
Hotel always has a restaurant for breakfast, but we offer a  'continental'
breakfast on the showground's.  We have a 'judges dinner' on Saturday  night
for
the judges and the show 'committee'...who do not exhibit at the  show.
Is there a  problem if the person picking them up, dining them, driving  them
etc is  also showing at the show?
Specialty:  No problem...dinning them, etc.  We've known most of the judges
for a  million years!!!!!  We try to have  someone who is not exhibiting (v&t)
do this.  But sometimes we can't do it...and  others have done it.
AB None of the Show  Committee at our All Breed show exhibit at our show...so
there is no  problem.
If you are  having an after show dinner on Sat. do you invite the judge  who
is judging  Sunday?
Specialty:  No problem with this.  We have done it with no  problems.
AB----They come to the  dinner on Saturday night when they are judging on
Sunday.
What type of gifts to  you give the judge? What  gifts do judges like most?
Specialty:  The most important rule.....SOMETHING  THAT FITS IN THEIR CARRY
ON BAGGAGE.  The stories I've heard from judges trying to leave the 7 ft
sombrero or  the 5 ft ceramic GSD at the airport make us think  'small'.
AB...Have a 'judges gift  bag' delivered to the hotel room.  Contains:
crackers,cheese,mints,water, wine,candy, etc., and a lapel Club Judge  pin.
Re: Airline  reservations....does the club make them or do you ask the judge
to make  them?
Specialty:  We offer to make the reservations, but  if the judge prefers to
do it, we reimburse them
AB.  Some use 'Jack's' or other travel  agencies that bill us directly and we
pay them for the judge.  Most judges just present their expense  report to
us.
Anything  else?
AB:  We send a note asking when they are  coming and returning (which
airline, time flight  #), information on Host Hotel and  Reservation number for
them
to call to make their own reservation, ask if there  is a request for specific
drinks/foods they would prefer. Advise them when they  will be picked up at
the hotel and taken to the show grounds and returned there  after the show.
Leave cell phone  numbers.  Seems to work quite  well.
viv

Vivian  Brown
Santa Ana, CA