[ SHOWGSD-L ] Question on Hospitality for judges

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:23:47 EST

Kay:
I am going to give you my answers, based on what our clubs  do, in
italics....Ileana

Do you  always pick judges up at the airport; do you arrange for a shuttle
for
them; or tell them to make their own arrangement and they will be
reimbursed?
And the same for judges returning to the  airport
We don't want to loose anyone, so a club member picks the  judges, drives
them if they need to go anywhere, and takes them back to the  airport.

Do you take them to dinner the day before the show;  to breakfast the morning
of the show; to dinner after the show.

We make the offer for ALL meals, sometimes they have  friends taking them
out, and that's ok, but we make sure they know we will take  care of them for
all
the meals if needed and wanted.

Is there a problem if the person picking them up, dining them, driving  them
etc is also showing at the show?

We prefer the driver is not showing, but sometimes  that is not possible. As
the clubs get smaller, the volunteers are less. I trust  the integrity of both
the club member driving and the judge.

If you are having an after show dinner on Sat. do you invite the judge  who
is judging Sunday?

We always have Saturday festivities, and the Sunday judge  is always invited.
All those present are well aware that the next day judge is  present, and we
have never had a problem with people crossing the line. Not even  with
pictures.

What type of gifts to you give the judge? What  gifts do judges like most?

We used to give presents  and found out that when  flying sometimes that is
an inconvenience. Now we give Gift Certificates, a  Book, something easy to
pack.  If the judge is driving, then the choices  are better.

Re: Airline reservations....does the club make  them or do you ask the judge
to make them?

That is agreed upon at the time of the contract. Sometimes  the judges has a
connection and can get a cheaper rate, otherwise we take care  of it.

Do judge's prefer to stay in hotels or in a member's  home?

In all the time I've made arrangements for judges the  preference has been to
stay at a hotel. The judges appreciate the privacy and  the opportunity of
some down time.  Once we had a judge stay at his  daughter's house.  We took
him
and his daughter to dinner.....she was  impressed.

Anything else?

When preparing food, please remember to ask about food  allergies. That is an
ounce of prevention that goes a long way, for the judges  and for the members
alike.