[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Other registries?

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:58:38 -0400

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:52:26 EDT, ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:=20

>>In a message dated 8/3/2005 6:55:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, =20
>>moorheide@xxxxxxx writes:
>>A few  days ago, I heard someone mention using another registry--not =
AKC. =20
>>What  does it take to become a registry?   Several European countries =
use  each=20
>>national breed club as the registry.=20
>>
>=20
>All you need to do is do it.

Correct. Know what you want to accomplish, create a system and keep
accurate records, and practically anyone can start a registry. It's a
lot of hard work, but not really rocket science. If AWSA did it,
anyone can!   ;)

I personally think AKC is pretty darned threatened by "other"
registries as this is something that has been pointed out several
times in different Delegates' meeting minutes. Well, too bad! There
are a lot of alternate registries out there now. And contrary to what
AKC says, not all of them are disreputable or populated by breeders
trying to escape or defy AKC rules and regs! Many of these "other"
registries are owned and run by independent breed clubs who don't want
any part of AKC. Other, larger registries, such as UKC, are run by dog
people *for* dog people and their sports (not to mention, for profit),
where actual individuals -- as opposed to clubs -- can be members and
participate in the running of the organization. This is quite unlike
AKC.

And now, as Evan said, you've got organizations such as ARBA starting
their own registry which will apparently allow in AKC breeds as well
as all the UKC and FCI-recognized rare breeds. It used to be that ARBA
didn't want to step on AKC's toes and tried really hard not to. They
were a rare breed organization and wanted to deal only with the
non-AKC breeds. I guess they finally got fed up with getting
absolutely no respect from the AKC. So this is what AKC gets and
deserves for acting like the big schoolyard bully and not letting the
little guys play or win. They are not the only *legitimate* game in
town, and it's about time they got a clue and figured that out.

JMHO of course!

Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx