[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA: Carriers

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:48:33 -0400

As I understand it, the OFA letters and ratings are for individual dogs only,
not their progeny.  Obviously if 2 OFA certified parents produced dysplasia,
they are BOTH CARRIERS for HD.  You cannot find this out until animals are
bred.  Sometimes the results are heartbreaking.  If it happens, I think
breeders should carefully go over their pedigrees, talk with other (honest)
breeders and contiue their breeding programs carefully.  Years ago, I had an
OFA Excellent bitch who produced HD in 2 litters out of 3--this was in the
80's.  It didn't matter that SHE was OFA Excellent--she was a carrier.  And
Punky--her hip evaluation came back borderline, but her elbows passed.  Her
pups were monitored carefully:  no hip problems, but a bad elbow!  Again, she
was a carrier for elbow problems.  I don't know the answer, but I think honesty
in breeding HAS TO BE a big part of it.
Penny in NY