[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nothing left to judge - Tail Amputation, Health Question

  • From: "paulette mcguirt" <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:32:50 -0500

Karen Wrote

I have a health question.  A  colleague was telling me about a gsd that =
had=20
some behavioral (or neurological)  disorder where he was so anxious he
chewed=20
on his own tail.  They were  having to amputate the tail.  The claim is =
that

this disorder is "common"  in the gsd.  Is that accurate?
Karen  Lollar
=3D
=3D

I think your colleague was referring to a syndrome known as Acral Lick
Dermatitis or ALD.  I once owned an E. European GSD that suffered from =
this
problem.  He would literally tear his toenails off and chew up his hind =
legs
and feet.  He had a complete diagnostic workup and the vets found no =
reason
for his behavior.  Otherwise my dog was healthy and very active.

A lot of dogs are euthanized after the diagnosis is made because this
disease is so difficult to treat.  In general, the dogs don't exhibit =
much
pain, but the owners can't handle the self-mutilation involved.  It can =
get
very bad, hence amputations. My GSD lived to be 12, but I had to remain
vigilant in checking his legs and feet for signs of infection.

Here's a link to a site that details the disease in layman's terms.
http://www.lbah.com/canine/ald.htm

Here's a list of several breeds are prone to ALD:
Doberman pinscher=20
Great Dane=20
Golden retriever=20
Labrador retriever=20