[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National Suggestions

  • From: Kim McNamara <klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "CROSSTIMBR@xxxxxxx" <CROSSTIMBR@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:39:52 -0500

I give Lew credit for thinking creatively, but I see problems with his
wish list National scheduling, the big one being the down time between
classes if we do all dogs one day and all bitches another day while we
wait for the judge to take photos and an occasional break.  Another
is, if one had only limited time and could only come Fri-Sat, they'd
miss all the dog classes.  Plus, it's unrealistic to expect that
performance Victors that show early in the week will stick around
until Saturday to be honored.

I think the National scheduling has already improved greatly with
Nanci's use of "to follow" and no more start times for classes other
than the first one of the day.  Good job!

I think the presentations of heroes, etc. were moved from the opening
ceremonies to lunch to allow more people to be there to see them.=20
That's a good thing.  But they could be sped up in this way: instead
of judging-presentation-lunch-judging it should switch to
judging-lunch-presentation-judging.  That would speed it up a bit as
we had to wait for Nanci and the club pres to finish photos before we
could do the presentations Friday for example, so it took longer than
it should have.

Saturday - the Regional presentations really take too much time.  I
think Saturday should be reserved for BOB judging.  Cut the Regional
parade (participation is getting smaller) and just present the awards
one afternoon after judging is complete.

I agree that we could probably start Weds and still get everything
done.  So since you asked for ideas, here is my wish list of the
National schedule:

Weds - Fut/Mat finals, 6-9, 9-12, 12-18 and no presentations
Thurs - Novice, Bred-By, lunch, presentations, Am Bred
Fri - Open, lunch, presentations, Veterans, Juniors, Best Puppy NO CONDITIO=
NAL
Sat - Breed

If class sizes are too big for the Weds schedule, move 12-18 to Thurs.

Performance: Mon/Tues - Herding, Weds - Agility/Temp Test, Thurs -
Rally, Fri - Obed

I want to remind everyone that has fond memories of 3-day Nationals,
that classes overlapped, handlers had all sorts of conflicts, and we
were all exhausted.

Those are my random thoughts!

Thanks,
Kim McNamara