[ SHOWGSD-L ] My Dog-was Judging mistake

  • From: "chsweetsun" <chsweetsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:31:37 -0400

Dear Fred,
Let me tell you that you are so RIGHT by doing what you did.   I, for one, am
super picky on temperament just as you are.  I will not show or keep a dog with
a faulty temperament, as the old story, been there- done that , is not at all
something I want to worry about from the outside of the ring.  The dog that
failed under you was my dog, and will now have to prove to me first that that
will never happen again or is out of here.
Excuses are easy to say now, but as you said to me, "you didn't know-as she was
shown before and not given any temperament issues at all--but, I did wrong by
placing her", is true. BUT, those words are imbedded in my mind.
You see, I then Judged the puppy match Saturday night at the show grounds.  I
did herding group.  As I stood there in the ring, I thought about your words.
I thought, wow...love this Sheltie.  Went to pet it, and got the "look".  I
then did Group, and LOVED the Briard, but once again, got a back-up and
couldn't give him what he deserved structurally.  I cannot tell you how your
making that statement at the end of the the show, was so important.  ALL Judges
should make temperament the No. 1 reason for not putting a dog up.  There are
things that can be "Taught", I know, but temperament faults should be brought
to the surface and by no means accepted.
I don't know if you are still feeling bad, but let me tell you, if I ever
become a Judge, YOU have made a great impression on me....and I will do my best
to rigorously monitor sound temperaments.
Thank You.
Tari
Brand New Website:
www.kridlersgermanshepherds.com